Monday, May 12, 2014

52 Recipes: Double Chocolate Cake Doughnuts [Week #17]


[So, I wrote this draft last week before THE WEATHER TURNED COLD AGAIN. I'm keeping the text for posterity's sake, and the temperatures are supposed to go back up later this week anyway.] :)

The days are warming up here in Utah and I am convinced that my happiness is directly correlated with the weather. Sunshine is good for the soul. The mornings are still cool and crisp, but the afternoons have been nearly perfect.

I want to drink up every day because before I know it, it'll be winter again. The bane of my existence.

Time has a way of doing that. In a few months I'll be turning 28 years old, and that, more than anything else, is mind-boggling to me.


At any rate, these doughnuts can be made rain or shine, hot or cold, and they'll be just as delicious either way.

I took this recipe from Joy the Baker but changed a few things, so I'll list the recipe below rather than just linking to it.

These won't taste like regular yeasted/fried doughnuts, to be sure, but they're tasty in their own way. I've loved using my doughnut pan, and the price is too good not to buy one ($7.50!). So I urge you to go buy one and try this recipe. You won't be disappointed!

Double Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
Slightly adapted from: Joy the Baker
Yield: 8 doughnuts

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa (mine was daaaaark, Guittard brand)
Scant 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted until almost browned, then cooled slightly
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the chocolate glaze:

1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (I used my regular Hershey's Special Dark for this)
pinch of salt
3-4 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
color sprinkles

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease your doughnut pan (or spray with nonstick cooking spray) and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar.

In a glass measuring cup (or small bowl) whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together with a spatula until well combined. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to get all the flour folded in.

Spoon the batter into the prepared doughnut pan, filling each mold about 2/3 full. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into one of the doughnuts comes out clean.

Remove from oven, let cool in the pan for five minutes, then invert doughnuts onto a wire rack to cool completely. Don't glaze until they are completely cool.

To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add 2 Tbsp. milk and the vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. The mixture will be thick, so continue adding milk one tablespoon at a time until the glaze is thick, but still slightly pourable.

Dip each doughnut into the glaze, shake off the excess, and return to the wire rack. Immediately top with sprinkles. Allow to rest until the glaze hardens.


No comments:

Post a Comment