Monday, January 6, 2014

52 Recipes: Roasted Corn & Zucchini Tacos (Week #1)

Oh hello!

It's been a long time since I posted on my sadly neglected food blog, but I've decided to bring it back in honor of my new project for 2014 (in case you're wondering: in 2013 I read 100 books). This year, I plan on attempting 52 new-to-me recipes and will be blogging about them each week. I'll post the source for each recipe, along with my own photos and any notes/adaptations. I've got a ton of recipes lined up to try and can't wait to see how they all turn out!
 

Tonight I needed something quick to make for dinner because Danny had class at 6PM. These vegetarian tacos from Budget Bytes fit the bill! They were so filling and flavorful, and I didn't feel like I missed having meat in them at all. Honestly, every single recipe from her blog is fantastic. Our weekly menu usually consists of at least one recipe from Budget Bytes. So good!

Of course, since it's winter and gets dark at like 3PM (ok fine...5PM) it was pretty hard to get any decent photos. Freaking winter, ruining everything.


Roasted Corn & Zucchini Tacos
Source: Budget Bytes
Serves: 6 (2 small tacos each)

2 medium zucchini, diced into small chunks
8 oz. frozen corn (the kind that is frozen fresh / uncooked) I ended up using closer to 10 oz.
1 recipe taco seasoning (or a packet of pre-made seasoning) I used her recipe, adding an extra dash of salt and 1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
12 corn or flour tortillas (I used corn)

Optional toppings (but seriously the toppings just bring it to another level!):
Avocado, sliced
Shredded monterey jack cheese
Pico de gallo
Greek yogurt or sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil.

Toss the zucchini, corn, taco seasoning, and olive oil in a large bowl until well combined and everything is coated in the oil/seasoning. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Once the veggies are done roasting (they should be slightly shriveled/soft when you bite into them), combine with the black beans and serve immediately on warmed tortillas with toppings.

Even my carnivorous husband loved these. Ok, who am I kidding, I could never be a fulltime vegetarian either. Haha. :-)

Until next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment