Sunday, January 19, 2014

52 Recipes: Brown Sugar Chili Rubbed Salmon w/ Avocado Crema [Week #3]


Guys, this recipe is THE BOMB. And I realize no one calls things "the bomb" anymore. But I'm bringing it back, so deal with it. After taking the first bite out of this salmon, Danny and I both looked at each other with "OMG" clearly written on our faces. IT IS SO VERY GOOD. I've had it on my list of recipes to try for a while now, and when I saw salmon was on sale at Sprouts this week, I knew it was time. Can You Stay For Dinner? is one of my most favorite bloggers. Her recipes are always fresh and healthy without sacrificing flavor. Definitely check out her blog! She's an inspiration.




Brown Sugar Chili Rubbed Salmon with Avocado Crema
Just barely adapted from: Can You Stay For Dinner?
Serves: 2

For the crema:
1/2 avocado
1 Tbsp. sour cream
1 Tbsp. 2% Greek yogurt
Juice from 1 lime
2 garlic cloves
handful fresh parsley

For the salmon:
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Pinch of black pepper
2 4-ounce salmon filets
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

In a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the crema and pulse until smooth (my food processor is pretty terrible, so it didn't puree the ingredients completely. I didn't mind the chunks of parsley, though!). Place in the fridge until ready to use.

Combine spices together and rub all over salmon filets, being sure to cover all sides. Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Place filets in pan and let cook, undisturbed, for four minutes. If your filets have skin, start cooking with the skin side up. (Ours had skin, but Danny expertly removed it before we started cooking. Salmon skin freaks me out.) Once the bottom is starting to turn slightly black and look caramelized, flip and let cook another 4 minutes until cooked through.

Serve with a dollop of the avocado crema. I paired ours with roasted green beans and cinnamon mashed sweet potatoes.

THE BOMB, I TELL YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment