Sunday, May 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Nachos

So I typically like to post on Sundays, but one Sunday I was feeling a little lazy so I decided to put it off "for a week." Well, here we are, 4 weeks later at 10PM on a Sunday night and I still haven't made an effort to post. I'm a horrible procrastinator....I've learned to just accept this fact. Hopefully I didn't lose all my (6?) readers from lack of posting. Ha.

Something I'm learning to love in Salt Lake is the month of May. It doesn't officially get dark now until 9PM, the days are warm and sunny, but the nights still cool enough for a hoodie. It's beautiful hiking weather, the mountains are starting to turn wonderfully green, and a long afternoon in the park with a blanket and good book is about the most perfect day I could imagine (and subsequently how we've spent the past 3 weekends).

Something else I love? Crockpots. What's not to love? You throw everything into one pot and let it cook while you work all day. When you come home, dinner is served. Do I even need another reason?

I threw this together one day out of desperation for something easy, and it ended up being delicious over nachos! I may or may not have already made this 3 times since. 

Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Nachos

2 good-sized chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1-2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 white onion, diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (medium, w/ green chiles)
2 Tbsp. salsa (any kind)

Mix together the dry seasonings. Using your fingers, coat chicken completely on all sides, rubbing the seasoning mixture into each crevice, until completely coated.

Pour 1 can of Rotel tomatoes into bottom of crockpot. Mix in most of the cilantro, onion, and jalapeno, reserving about 1/4 of the mixture. Layer the two chicken breasts in the crockpot side by side, on top of the tomato mixture. Pour the remaining can of Rotel tomatoes, along with the rest of the cilantro/onion/jalapeno, on top of the chicken. Spoon in two tablespoons salsa.

Cover and let cook on low, 6-8 hours. Serve over your favorite tortilla chips with shredded cheese, cilantro, salsa, sour cream/Greek yogurt....the possibilities are endless!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I've made shredded chicken on nachos before, and we love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too! We'll cook pretty much anything in a crockpot, and also eat just about anything over nachos, so it's basically a win/win. ;-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! That looks SOOOOO good! Brent (my hub) Loves anything mexican so Ill have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely a good recipe to have handy. Hope you like it! :)

      Delete