Sunday, April 8, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes

I have to say - from a commercial standpoint, anyway - Easter is my least favorite holiday. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate the meaning of Easter and all that it stands for. But these days it's been commercialized into something entirely different, to the point that I can't walk into Target without being bombarded with pastels, bunnies, gobs of candy, and - because they require a category all to their own - Cadbury eggs. Thankfully, this year I have managed to not eat one single piece of candy. Not even one of those glorious, chocolate, creme-filled eggs........Oh, sorry. Was I drooling? Moving on.

Something else I don't understand is dragging your children to see the Easter Bunny (and sit on its lap??) in your local mall. Please, someone enlighten me. To my knowledge I was never subjected to this torture as a child, but maybe I just did a great job of blocking it out. In all honesty, I have never seen an Easter Bunny that didn't just look downright terrifying (and/or cause flashbacks of Donnie Darko)..no matter the costume or the person inside. I'm convinced they just can't figure out a way to design that costume without it bearing some level of extreme creepiness. But I digress.

Anyway, all thoughts of spring/Easter/creepy bunnies aside, I've made a much more Fall-tasting dish (even though I'm really in the mood for summer) with these Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes. I just sort of threw them together one morning, based on a few pancake recipes I've already made. It worked. They were tasty. Then again, I never met a pancake I didn't like.

Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes
Serves 2-4, depending on how ravenous you are ;)

1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces (I only had red, but I'd definitely suggest something more tart like Granny Smith)
Oil or butter (for greasing)

Whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.

In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla, whisking vigorously until foamy. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir by hand until the batter comes together (don't overmix). Fold in chopped apple.

Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (I usually put my griddle on 350 degrees). Brush with a little oil or butter. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles appear and edges are set, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes.

I have a feeling these would be amazing served with some sort of maple-flavored glaze. And since they contain fruit, they're toooooootally healthy. Right? Right!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to make those really soon!! they sound amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete