Saturday, March 24, 2012

Strawberry Scones

Hello! I'm writing to you from the glorious 75° weather in Nashville, TN, in the comfort of my parents' home, the guest bedroom to be exact, missing my husband terribly and having some serious allergies that I never have in Utah. Weird. Also, my hair is like 6 inches shorter than it used to be. Key word is S-H-O-R-T. :D

There's just something about being home that I love. The bed feels more comfy, the bathroom feels cleaner (though most bathrooms seem cleaner than mine...). Maybe it's the fact that my mom made one of my favorite meals (chicken pot pie) for our first dinner together. It could definitely have something to do with that.

Before I left to go out of town, I decided to whip up a batch of something that my husband could snack on while I was gone. We had an entire pint of strawberries in the fridge that I knew would go bad by the time I returned, so I started searching for an easy strawberry recipe, and what's easier than a scone? I mean, seriously. WHAT is easier than a scone? Practically nothing. And they are so versatile. Oh my, I love them. I was so sad that we didn't have any cream in the house; I feel like these would be even more delicious with some lightly sweetened, freshly whipped cream. On their own though, they are still fantastic. Just look at those bright red berries bursting out of the dough. It doesn't get much better than that.

Strawberry Scones
Just barely adapted from: Confessions of a Tart
Yield: 6 large scones

1 cup strawberries, cut into bite-size pieces
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp. white sugar (divided)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into cubes, COLD
2/3 cup cold buttermilk

Topping:
1 Tbsp. white sugar (Personally I think either coarse sugar or superfine sugar would work best here; unfortunately all I had was regular ol' granulated. It did the trick!)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.

Sprinkle strawberries with 1 teaspoon sugar; give a quick stir and set aside.

Whisk together 3 Tbsp sugar with remaining dry ingredients. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or fork, until mixture resembles coarse meal (most of the butter pieces should be no bigger than pea-size). Try to do this quickly so the butter does not warm up too much. Stir in strawberries, then add in the buttermilk. Gently stir the dough until it comes together (I had to add a splash more of milk).

Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 1-2 times. Be gentle and don't overwork the dough. You may need to sprinkle with a little more flour if it's sticky.

Pat the dough into a circle just under an inch thick. You may have to push some of the berries back into the dough if they try to peek out. Cut the circle (I used a pizza cutter) into 6 wedges, then transfer to the prepared cookie sheet (leaving about an inch of space between them).

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle on 1 Tbsp. sugar for topping. Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.

Try it with a little whipped cream. Or butter. Or jam. Or nothing at all. Either way, I promise you will love them.

1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy! planning to pin a pic again :)

    ReplyDelete