Saturday, March 3, 2012

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am one of those people that re-reads certain book series over, and over, and over again. It drives my husband crazy. He'll suggest some new and interesting book for me to read, clearly convinced that it's something I'll enjoy, and I'll look up at him while in the midst of Harry Potter for the 89th time and complain, "but I'm already reading something." He doesn't get it.

I don't get it either, but some books just do that to me. The kind of book that drags you through every single emotion so that by the time it's finished, you feel like you've lost an old friend and you should be attending a funeral or something. A good book is one you can read again and notice things that you didn't the first time around. My current obsession? Pining for The Hunger Games movie to hit theaters so I can immediately critique how similar/different it is from the book. I drive myself crazy.

Anyways, so the thing that I enjoy even more than reading a good book (or re-reading) is having a good chocolate chip cookie while I read. Chocolate chip cookies are just timeless, I think, so simple, yet who can say no to a chocolate chip cookie? So I took a recipe that I have made before and tried it out with brown butter instead. I like it....I think you will too.

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Just barely adapted from: All Recipes
Makes about 18 large cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F and grease your cookie sheets (or line with parchment paper).

In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium heat while stirring occasionally. Butter will initially foam up and then subside. Once you notice little brown flecks forming at the bottom of the pan, immediately remove from heat and pour into a separate bowl to keep it from cooking (browned butter can quickly go from brown to burnt). Butter should be a deep golden brown color and have a wonderfully-smelling nutty aroma.

Sift together dry ingredients and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream together the brown butter and sugars until well blended. Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, beating until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients just until blended - try not to overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop cookie dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, keeping them 2-3 inches apart (I was able to fit 8 cookies onto my cookie sheet that normally fits 12).

Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

Enjoy with a glass of milk and a good book.

3 comments:

  1. Yum!!! Chocolate chip is one of my favs!! Please check shipping costs and send some of these goodies soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food photography is too stunning. Subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet! Happy to have a new reader! :)

      Delete