Sunday, March 11, 2012

Big Juicy Burgers

This weekend was glorious. 60 degree temperatures graced the air, delicious food was consumed, (my jeans are not thanking me), a small peak was hiked to, an iPad (2) was purchased (though admittedly for my husband's classes, I plan on stealing it when he's not looking), and these burgers were made.

Oh, and I'm visiting Nashville in less than 2 weeks. SO. FLIPPING. EXCITED. I know the time will probably fly by and I'll be left wondering what happened to my vacation, but isn't that how it always goes? Super stoked to see parents, family, and friends.

So these burgers are super simple (albeit not the healthiest thing in the world) but who am I kidding, the name of this blog implies I'm some sort of cake addict anyway. I will neither confirm nor deny such accusations.

Big Juicy Burgers
Makes 2 huge burgers, or 4 small ones

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1-2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. BBQ sauce, any kind (I used Bone Suckin' Sauce)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
---
cheese for topping, if desired
buns, condiments, etc.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, mixing with hands until completely combined. Form into 2 large patties and set aside. You should probably wash your hands at this point. ;)

Heat a large, nonstick skillet between medium and medium-high heat. Depending on how lean your beef is, you may want to add just a teaspoon or so of olive oil to the hot pan, but this isn't necessary (i.e. sometimes I do, sometimes I don't).

Add beef patties to the pan and immediately cover with a lid. Let cook until bottoms are browned; about 5 minutes. Flip and re-cover with lid. Turn heat down, between medium-low and medium. Let cook another 4-6 minutes until the other sides have browned and burgers are cooked through (if adding cheese - add 30 seconds to 1 minute before removing from pan, covering with the lid after adding the cheese - it melts quickly!). Remove from pan. I like to then set them on a plate covered in paper towels; helps to soak up some of that grease.

I served ours with Cajun-style fries. I would share the recipe but truth be told I just threw them in the oven with some olive oil and seasonings. They turned out great, but weren't crispy. I still can't figure out how to get crispy baked fries. Life is hard.

Yes, it was a feat taking a bite of that thing. Yes, I enjoyed every second of it.

5 comments:

  1. Emily that looks amazing. I want one so bad right now. Holy cow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks!! They were seriously good and so simple. And you could easily sub in ground turkey to make them a bit healthier. Also, I only posted this like 2 minutes ago, you're a crazy fast commenter! :D I hope I get to see you guys when I visit!

      Delete
    2. Haha, yeah. I happened to be on google reader when you posted it and I was so impressed with the photos (they're making me salivate just looking at them!) I just had to leave a comment :D

      Delete
  2. That looks intense, but delicious! Your photos are all soo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! :) And yes...that burger WAS intense.

      Delete