Friday, February 17, 2012

Tall & Soft Biscuits

I've had one of THOSE weeks. Possibly even months. Where you're left wanting to pull your own hair out and even the weather won't give you a break (I realize this is a "mild" winter for all of you Utah folk, but seriously, I would really appreciate spring to just hurry up and get here already).

My hair has split ends and I don't know a good stylist to go to in SLC. I miss my hair salon in Nashville. So I have long, scraggly hair that doesn't do anything except lay there and be boring (and thick, and frizzy). It's ok, I'm already married. No one to impress, right?

This week has been so hectic and the last time I went to the gym was....yep. Last Saturday. My measly little victory of jogging for 10 minutes straight has probably gone down the toilet. Along with my motivation.

My husband is so busy with school that we are like passing ships in the night. I could not emphasize this fact more. It is ridiculous.

And one final and completely unrelated fact, I am truly and hopelessly obsessed with The Vampire Diaries. I KNOW. You don't even have to tell me how lame I am. I'm fully aware.


So when you've had "one of those weeks," my remedy is always to bake something. The more fattening the better, I say, because this is the time that any notions I had of eating healthy just go out the window. Give me butter. Give me sugar. GIVE ME CAKE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD.

So here, I have baked you a biscuit. A tall, soft, fluffy pillow of a biscuit that I just want to sink my face into. Wake me up when it's July.

Tall & Soft Biscuits
Source: 17 and Baking, who got the recipe from AllRecipes.com
Yield: 6 biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, COLD, cut into cubes (in case your butter isn't marked for 1/3 cup, that is 5 and 1/3 Tbsp.)
3/4 cup milk
Melted butter, for brushing

Preheat oven to 425°F.

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal (try not to have too many pieces of butter much bigger than pea-size). Slowly add in milk, stirring until the dough comes together.

On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll dough out until about 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits out with round cookie cutter (or the rim of a glass dipped in flour). Place on ungreased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until golden.

**Some notes**
- When making biscuits, it's always best for everything to be cold, cold, COLD. Put your mixing bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes beforehand. Don't take your butter out of the fridge until you are ready to cut it into cubes for use (you could even cut it into cubes and then put back into the fridge for 10-15 minutes). Try to handle the butter with your hands as little as possible. Once the biscuits have been cut, get them into the oven before that butter gets any warmer. Cold butter is what helps to create tender, flaky biscuits. Can you tell I'm freakish about the cold thing?
- When cutting the biscuits out of the dough, try not to twist the cutter in order to make for a cleaner cut. You'll want to, it seems natural, but don't. When you cut straight down and then twist the cutter back and forth, it causes the sides of the biscuits to "seal together," preventing them from rising as much as they could in the oven. As you can see from my pictures, I did twist mine a little (I'm impatient) when cutting, and that's why they're a bit lopsided. One side rose more than the other.
- Did I mention keeping the butter COLD??? :-)

2 comments:

  1. My remedy for all your woes? Come home. Quit your job, kiss your hubby and put yourself on a plane for a week or two. You could get your haircut, jog on the greenway, which by the way has daffodils along the paths and see your parents which miss you incredibly. Love your
    biscuit recipe. Did you really only get 6 from recipe? Very southern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Amber, that sounds amazing :) I wish it was that easy! I am, however, coming to visit in March which I'm extremely excited about! And yep...only 6 biscuits. It's very southern. :)

      Delete