Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Elephant Ear Cookies

I think it's amazing how certain things can trigger our senses and immediately bring us back to that one time 10 years ago. This happens to me often with music, smells, and food. I mean, some songs or whole records for that matter have the power to just bring me back to "that one time," some incredibly specific memory in my life, going as far as to make me feel exactly the way I did at that point in time. It's nostalgic, really, reminiscing in what used to be, in the fun that was had, or the tears that were shared. When I was probably no more than 5 years old, I can remember fondly many a football game that was watched, sitting on my dad's lap, eating puffy Cheetos (never the crunchy ones. I mean, we were classy like that). I didn't understand a single thing happening in the game, but what was important was that I was cool enough to watch it with my dad. And we always ate Cheetos. And to this day, the taste of Cheetos still reminds me of those memories that I cherish. (I also still have a love for football; only now, I understand what's going on) ;)

In much the same way, these cookies are something that I have been making for probably close to 20 years, and every time they make an appearance I'm instantly reminded of adventurous baking with my mom when I was just a child, and being with her in our kitchen while smelling the delicious cinnamon-y goodness wafting out of the oven. Love you, Mom!

These cookies come from an absurdly old children's cookbook called Alpha-Bakery Children's Cookbook. The cookies don't look like the traditional elephant ear cookies, I know, but this is how they were pictured in the cookbook and this is how I have always made them. They're really a cross between a cinnamon roll and a cookie, not that it really matters, because either way they are delightful. You could even go one step further and make a simple confectioner's sugar glaze to go on top but truly, these cookies are delicious all on their own, and they couldn't be easier to whip up.

Elephant Ear Cookies
Slightly adapted from: Alpha-Bakery Children's Cookbook
Yield: about 8 cookies

1/4 cup (1/2 stick or 4 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. white sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
3 Tbsp. white sugar (for filling)
2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a cookie sheet.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and 3 tablespoons melted butter, reserving 1 tablespoon for brushing. Stir until dough forms (will be slightly sticky).

Turn dough out onto a surface sprinkled with flour. Knead 10 times. Roll with a rolling pin into a rectangle until dough is about 1/4" inch thick (I honestly don't measure how big the rectangle is; I'd say mine is usually about 8 inches wide since it makes 8 cookies).

Brush with remaining melted butter. Mix together 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle onto buttered dough. Beginning at the narrow end of the dough, roll up tightly and pinch the edge into roll to seal. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and place cut-side-up on the cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes and immediately remove from oven (the cookies won't really get brown on top, so be careful not to overbake). Let cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, if you've been making those your whole life, how come I've NEVER HAD ONE?

    You need to fly to Florida to make them for me now.

    These are my demands.

    That is all.




    And cool blog, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete