Thursday, January 5, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


It only makes sense that my first recipe to post should be inspired by the talented Deb at Smitten Kitchen. I have been following Smitten Kitchen for a long, long time. You can find what seems to be an unending supply of mouthwatering recipes for just about anything, savory or sweet. I've drooled over her blog for years, and every single thing I've attempted from it has always been a 100% success.

This pie is no exception. And before you all start telling me how you're quite positive you don't like rhubarb, listen when I say that I used to be one of you. And I probably still don't like rhubarb except when it's in the form of this pie. You need the rhubarb to create the amazingly sweet-yet-tart flavor that will most certainly win you over, I promise. Don't be weirded out by the tapioca, either. It helps to thicken the filling so you don't have juice sloshing everywhere as you shovel way too much pie into your mouth. Not that I would know. Heh.

I chose to make my own crust and used Deb's recipe which you can find here. It didn't disappoint. However, if you're pressed for time and use a pre-made crust, I won't tell. ;)

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Source: Smitten Kitchen

Double-crust pie dough of your choice

3 1/2 cups rhubarb, in 1/2-inch thick slices

3 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced

3/4 cup granulated sugar (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but Deb suggests bumping it up to 3/4 if you prefer sweeter pies. I do.)

1/4 cup light brown sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca (you can find this in your local grocery store)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a well-floured counter, roll half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle and carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. If using store-bought pie dough, simply unroll onto your pie plate.

In a large bowl, stir together rhubarb, strawberries, both sugars, lemon juice, salt and tapioca. Spoon filling inside bottom pie crust and dot with bits of unsalted butter. Roll second half of pie dough into an 11-inch circle and cut decorative slits in it. Transfer it to center over the pie filling. Trim top and bottom pie dough so that their overhang beyond the pie plate lip is only 1/2-inch. Tuck rim of dough underneath itself and crimp it decoratively.

Transfer pie to a baking sheet and brush egg yolk mixture over dough. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until the pie is golden and the juices bubble visibly.

Transfer pie to wire rack to cool. When completely cool (several hours later) the juices will gel.

Enjoy with a gigantic scoop of vanilla ice cream.


Sorry, no photo of the inside. It just disappeared too quickly. ;)

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful pie! I bet it was just as yummy as it was pretty! I'm so glad that you've started blogging again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you made this pie look so appetizing as well as artistic by adding the star to the crust. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete