Friday, January 20, 2012

Lemon Snowball Cookies


The dead of winter sometimes always leaves me pining for warmer temperatures, cook-outs with friends and family, eating lots of watermelon, not putting on 4 layers just to go outside, flip-flops, patio dinners at favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants...you get the idea. Also, am I the only person who despises wearing winter coats for the sole reason that I always get an itch in the middle of my back and can't ever reach it thanks to the ginormous wool coat I'm wearing? This happens more often than you would think. Reason #81734 why I hate winter.



My husband and I have set a goal to learn how to snowboard by next year so maybe that will make winters in Salt Lake a little more bearable. Did I mention I'm a Florida girl? Yeah.


So last weekend, in defiance of all that is cold and bitter in the world, I made lemon cookies. And let me tell you, these are not just lemon cookies. These are LEMON cookies. The first bite screams of bright sunny days and begs you to have another. And another. And another. (erm..I may have eaten one too many of these beauties). I already want to make another batch. If winter is going to insist on being here, the least I can do is try to will it away with my summery and citrus-filled baked goods.



Lemon Snowball Cookies

Adapted from: Sing For Your Supper
makes 14-16 cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
Juice from 2 1/2 lemons (should equal out to slightly more than 1/4 cup)
Zest from 1 1/2 lemons
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
confectioners' sugar (for coating)

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Mix in egg, scraping down the sides until well incorporated. Mix in lemon juice, zest, vanilla and lemon extracts. Don't worry if the batter starts to look a little curd-like. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients into creamed mixture and mix just until blended. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and set 1-2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until bottoms are slightly browned (don't wait for the tops to brown, because it won't happen). I took mine out right at 10 minutes and they were perfect.

Transfer to wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes, then roll in confectioners sugar.

Do what I do. Eat one, close your eyes, and imagine you are in the Bahamas.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, Emily, these look amazing. I'm pinning this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look sooo good and lemon is one of favorite flavors. Yum! Again the same question, how much to ship??? I need some of these!!!

    ReplyDelete