Saturday, January 28, 2012

Double Chocolate Pancakes

Dude.

I implore you to stop whatever it is you're doing, right now, and make these pancakes. Your taste buds will thank you....your pants will not. I am literally on my way out the door in less than 5 minutes to go to the gym thanks to this mountain of chocolate. But believe me, the guilt trip is worth it.

Most weekday mornings, I have 2 eggs scrambled with low fat cheese, a piece of whole wheat toast, and 1 piece of turkey sausage for breakfast. It's pretty nutritious, I'd say, and keeps me full all morning long. But Saturdays? Saturdays were meant for French toast (I make a mean French toast, by the way, which I will share with you soon), sugary cereals, pancakes, and especially these double chocolate pancakes. The only thing missing from this equation are the classic Saturday morning cartoons that I used to watch as a kid. Looney Tunes, especially. Cartoons aren't what they used to be. Am I right?

Confession: Most of the photos I took of these were ridiculously blurry and not very good. I just couldn't wait to shove my face into that chocolatey pool of syrup. Fat kid much?

Double Chocolate Pancakes
Slightly adapted from: Becky Bakes
Yield: about 12 medium-sized pancakes (I halved this recipe for just my husband and I and came out with 6)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup dark cocoa, Dutch-process (regular cocoa will work too)
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (mine were dark chocolate)

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside. In a separate bowl (I like to use my Pyrex liquid measuring cup), vigorously whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until light and foamy. Whisk in melted butter. Add wet mixture into flour mixture and whisk just until blended (it's OK if it's lumpy). Fold in the chocolate chips.

Preheat your griddle or nonstick frying pan to medium heat. I preheated my griddle to 300°F. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls. Cook until bubbles start to form and pop on the top, and the edges start to look cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Flip, and cook another 2-3 minutes. Serve with butter and your favorite syrup.

And then immediately join a gym.

2 comments:

  1. Any food that has dark chocolate in the recipe is definitely high on my list and these look amazing!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yep, chocolate wins for me, every time. :)

    ReplyDelete