Friday, January 13, 2012

Blackberry Cupcakes


When I was a kid, our neighbors had this blackberry bush in their backyard that - to my delight - always overgrew onto our side of the fence. Needless to say, I ate a lot of blackberries because of it. To this day, they're still my favorite berry.


So you can imagine my excitement last week when Sunflower Market (our awesome grocery store) had packages of blackberries on sale for 88 CENTS EACH. That's freakin' cheap, people. I debated filling the entire cart with them, but then Adult Emily kicked in and I settled with three instead.


I learned two things today:

1) It's possible my baking powder has expired. This is my third batch of cupcakes (all different recipes) where at least half of the batch has sunken in the middle. I am annoyed.
2) I don't care what people tell you, you cannot use a ziplock bag in place of a piping bag. Or maybe I just have a firm grip (bahaha). Either way, I managed to get one lonely cupcake frosted before the bag exploded all over my hand. It did however give me a perfectly good excuse to eat copious amounts of sugary frosting (yeah...sometimes I still act like that kid who stole her neighbor's blackberries). Lesson learned: don't run out of piping bags.


I've had this recipe bookmarked for some time now. I followed it exactly, so I'm just going to post the link here [via Starting to Simmer]. Regarding the frosting, the only thing I changed was to substitute more butter in for the shortening. Shortening just isn't my thing.

The cupcakes were tasty and extremely moist. I was left wanting more of a blackberry flavor, though. Next time I might try adding more than the 1/2 cup puree it calls for. I'm still learning how/when/what you can substitute when baking, so we'll see how that goes. ;)


I'm off to enjoy my three day weekend! Hope you do the same!

4 comments:

  1. Your cupcake looks great!!! Glad you enjoyed the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christie, and thanks for stopping by! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing. Question, what lens did you use for that very first shot? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I used a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Honestly, I use my 50mm for most of my photography, and definitely all of my food shots. It's a great little lens, and definitely affordable.

      Delete